I’ve tried to write this blog about 32 times trying to find the most eloquent way to give you all a “first look” both into me as a person and a photographer, as well as my business and the personality it has taken on. And on try #33, I felt this all-too-familiar stress that I felt during my previous 7a-7p job (on a good day) when I spent half of my time paralyzing myself with worry that my work wasn’t going to be good enough.
And suddenly I was slapped in the face with the realization that stress and perfection are two words that do not fit into my goals in running this business. Just like I want my clients to have fun, not have to “pose” all the time, and not worry if their child throws a tantrum in the middle of a shoot (because frankly, it makes for great pictures!) – I want to approach this with a peaceful mind and an openness to the unrehearsed, imperfect moments in running this business that will keep it relevant and real.
So in the spirit of being real… I can tell you that the most overwhelming feeling I have as I officially launch this dream that I call “Photography by Brea” is this:
I am absolutely, insanely IN LOVE with what I do.
I’m in love with the fact that I can bring tears of happiness to a Mom when she gets her final proofs of her son’s 1-year photos. I’m in love with the fact that I get to capture the look in a first-time-Dad’s eyes as he holds his newborn daughter. I’m in love with the fact that I get to help a high school senior feel and look confident in front of my lens in a world that can make them not feel good enough. I’m in love with the fact I get to meet new people. I’m in love with the fact that no day, no client and no photo shoot is ever the same. And MOST importantly, I’m in love with the fact that running my own business allows me the flexibility that will ultimately allow me to be a better Mom and a better wife.
I am SO excited to begin this journey… and I appreciate you being along with me. Here’s to sharing with you all of the unrehearsed, imperfect moments to come.
Special thank yous:
- Mark Coyne of Radium Hosting for all of the hours and saint-like patience with the development of this site
- My dear hometown friend Danielle Stallone for designing my logo (and sharing some wine with me as I agonized over website colors! ha!)
- All of the amazing clients who allowed me to build my portfolio and feature them on this site
- Heather Lahtinen of Weddings By Heather for sharing your knowledge and inspiring me to make photography a career.
- The girls at the Avon Starbucks for keeping me caffeinated while I worked on my business planning!
- My parents for instilling the belief in me a long time ago that I can do anything I set my mind to.
- My sister, my absolute best friend. For being my sounding board and the voice in my ear pushing me to go after this.
- Most importantly – my husband Jason for being the most incredible supporter and friend throughout this process. Would never be here without you.